Wednesday, February 28, 2018

White Onion - Paintng #3

White Onion - Painting #3

Not happy with this one, although it does seem to look a little better in the photo than in real.   Most paintings do, and I'm not sure why?  White is hard to paint and so are onions!  What color is white?  I was trying to think of the light side as yellowish and the shadow side as purplish.  But, I couldn't actually 'see' the white in a yellowish color so was hard to do.  I know for white, you just kind of have to choose what type of  'off' white color you'll use, and then use the compliment for the shadow side.  According to the late  Helen Van Wyk, one of my all time favorite painters, when you paint onions you;  invest in a lot of color, put it on horizontally for the most part,and then blend it vertically to give you the onion skin look.  I needed to invest a lot more color and not overwork it with my vertical strokes so much.  I think I'll paint a yellow onion tomorrow to see if I have any better luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment