Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Moose
Thank goodness paintings look better in photos!  A friend sent me this picture that I worked from.

I did not like how this one turned out at all, but in the photo it looks barely passable.  I painted it over two days because the first day it was too wet to work, and couldn't get anything to stick.  The second day, I wiped off the body three times and I still wasn't happy with it!   I believe I'm starting too juicy.  My paints from Triangle Coatings, are very creamy.  Don't know why I feel like I need to add medium.

I've never been good at animals, the  fur is hard to paint!  I find it's difficult not to look at all the 'fur' and just focus on the main light and dark areas.   And I need to remember to start with dryer paint in the beginning.

I took my son to Bozeman over the weekend, 14 hour round trip!  I brought my camera so I could take some reference photos.  But, hard to recognize a good spot when you're driving 80, and then once you see it, it's too late.

I definitely need to take time to go out on the weekends to take reference photos like I promised myself.    I just want to start with very small areas of landscape.  Just a tree or two to begin with....

2 comments: